Tuesday, February 20, 2007
The challenge
Hola faithful Garden hoes. I know, I know. I'll wait for you SIX to pick yourself up off your keyboards since surely the shock of yet another NEW post in such a short time span has left you in a dead faint.

Ha.

Ok so anyhow, you may recall my post on Michael taking the test for the Challenge Program at his school. He did and he passed. Put the confetti away. Oh was that just me? Sorry.

The director and I had a long chat about Michael's *social* maturity. After that chat and an even longer chat with DH we have decided to keep him where he is for now. I feel like that's such a letdown after the build up I gave it but hear me out. I do not believe that he is applying himself to learning the BASICS. I think it all comes easy so he breezes through. I mean his handwriting is atrocious. And when he is given an assignment with 3-4 different steps, like circle the nouns, underline the verbs etc, he is allllll over the place. "Oh that's a noun! Verb! Verb! Noun!"

SO. I am going to homeschool him after school. We are working on penmanship, taking our time to follow directions carefully. Extra artsy stuff. I'm like Kumon at home. I want to be as complementary to his current schooling as possible without killing him or giving him busy work. But I really want him to learn how to learn so that when he does finally head off to bigger and better things, he is really ready. Not just intellectually, but mentally and socially.

On the lighter side of things, Benjamin has decided he LOVES homework. So I bought him a little workbook too. He has the greatest time "working" with his big brother. Hopefully he is getting something out of this as well.


10 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

((hugs)) I think you are doing exactly the right thing. You are a great momma for recognizing that even though he passed the test intellectually, he might not yet be at that place. He's so lucky you're there for him, guiding him. Yay you! I am proud to know you.

Blogger erika said...

Oh, and I forgot to say that I did have to pick myself up off the floor... it's WAY too soon for you to be posting again, LMFAO.

Blogger CrunchyCon said...

*insert everything Erika said here*

I almost didn't check your blog, because it was too soon! LMAO!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna also give a big "Yeah That" to Erika's post. Thank you for updating us so quickly :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Erika said. I, too, was quite surprised to see another update from you :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just starting to find time to read blogs. I am proud of you for not being a peacock mommy and really looking at what was best for Michael. I think you made a great choice for great reasons.

Oh and you better add a reader to your count... cuz I bookmarked ya :)

Blogger Beth said...

I'm glad he did well on the test anyway, and I think its great that you are going to be helping him after school. And yay for more blog posts!

Blogger missmaryao said...

I agree, it takes a great mommy to make that decision- he is lucky to have you!
missmaryao

Blogger Kelli said...

Wtg! I totally agree that you are doing the right thing for Michael. When a mommy recognizes that the "basics" come first and is not in a "hurry" to push them on on, that's not a good mommy, that's an exceptional mommy!

Blogger sb said...

OK, to make it all about me, I feel like shit that I don't even know what this blog is about... I get the gist of it and I think you're making the best decision, esp since Michael is still pretty young. And I didn't even know about the first update! Good think I do randomly check you blog once in a while!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG